Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Where I Belong...

This past weekend I made a quick trip down to the beloved city of Cedar for a really good friend's farewell. Ryken Winston Harris. He is going to be an amazing missionary and I am so proud of him. And although that is great, that's not the point of this post... and it's going to be a long post of loves that most people probably won't love... you were warned.
Being in Provo and away for the summer I forget the little things like how it feels to pull up Cove Drive to a place that I have lived in my whole life and where ALL my memories where made. I forget how pretty that red rock can look. I forget how nice it is to get to where I'm going in 5 minutes. I forget that simplicity is sometimes the best thing. I forget how much I love to see familiar faces everywhere I go.
Mostly, I forget how much I love to drive on a dirt road, smell fresh cut alfalfa mixed with a few other choice smells, walk down the lane to see my dad, looking a tad older than I remember working in the hot sun but none the less doing something that he loves. I love to wear my jeep boots that the only place they get to go is the farm. I love to pick a long weed and continue to tie it in a knot over and over again while I talk with my dad about a certain heifer/steer or the feed on the mountain. I love to get assigned the task to move the sheep to another pen. I love the satisfaction of hauling a bail off hay and then procedding to cut the bailing twine with another piece of twine (you city folk won't understand I'm sure ;) I love coming home hot, sweaty, rolling up my pants, walking in the house to a family that loves everything I just said, if not more. I love the country life.
It's been really good for me to be away and realize how much I truly do miss it. I feel like it is where I belong. I want it to always be a part of my life, so therefore I need to marry a smokin hot cowboy that will work our land, teach my kids the importance of hard work, and most of all love me just as much as his lifestyle.
Something else I have been missing is getting drug by a 1400lb animal, having my foot stepped on several times til my big toe nail is nice and bruised, and having steer snot and drool slimed from my shoulder to my knee. Typical things to miss don't ya think?
Grand and Reserve Champion Steers 2010
*creepy thing about these pictures is that I found them on google... just by searching my name.
Every summer I would go to at least 2 stock shows and then end with one in September. This has been my first summer to not have a steer to break, rinse, and fit everyday. Okay if we're being honest I never did it everyday... back in those days I didn't think it was quite as fun as I do now. But also honestly, I miss it. really bad.
Here in just a few weeks I will be returning to our tiny, boring Cedar City. But I will tell you I am excited! Until then I will continue to horrify my roommates with farm stories and educate their little city brains :) I think a rodeo is fitting don't ya think? I making them go with me to Fiesta Days in Spanish Fork. If they are normal I'm sure they won't mind seeing a few wrangler butts and in the words of Mom Margo, it will "drive them nuts!"

2 comments:

Christi Lynn

you're amazing :)

Kendra

I am obsessed with you. I feel you on the C-squared stuff. I love that place!! :) I just went to a stock show this last weekend and texted Mar a bajillion pictures of grand champions and "girls with wranglers up to their boobs..." Mara's favorite. :) Love you Nat!

Post a Comment